[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16856: When registering custom post type, menu_position isn't honored if it's a number passed as a string

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Mar 14 18:50:51 UTC 2011

#16856: When registering custom post type, menu_position isn't honored if it's a
number passed as a string
-------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  nathanrice               |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new

Comment (by nathanrice):

 @scribu
 Thanks!

 The current menu position paradigm is weak, IMO, and I think other devs
 agree. Giving 15 positions between Comments and Appearance for CPTs and
 custom menus means there is bound to be a conflict at some point. The 15
 position limit itself isn't the weakness, it's the fact that there's a
 limit at all.

 Ideally, menu_position would accept a section as a parameter. Main,
 Content, Settings, for example. And you could register a new section too,
 if you wanted, that could go at the bottom, or between two other sections.

 {{{
 register_menu_section( 'my-section', array( 'main', 'content' ) );
 }}}

 You get the idea. Register 'my-section' between 'main' and 'content',
 adding the menu separaters automatically.

 Then, top level menus (custom menus, CPTs, etc.) get added to a section
 (default or custom) based on the order they're registered. Let themers and
 plugin writers fight over who's menu gets added first/last, but at least
 they all show up.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16856#comment:4>