[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16818: Akismet should suggest user to check current legal situation regarding data protection

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Mar 10 09:54:12 UTC 2011

#16818: Akismet should suggest user to check current legal situation regarding data
protection
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jottlieb         |      Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  I18N             |    Version:
 Severity:  minor            |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 The summary may be a bit confusing, so let's go to the facts first:

 As we can imagine every country has different laws regarding data
 protection / data privacy. Especially european countries (and germany
 above all) have strict data protection laws. Thus the use of Akismet seens
 to be illegal in Germany (and my other countries) because personal data
 (IP, name, email and so on) are stored on foreign servers (without
 notifying the comment author first).

 As we should prevent the users from trobule it's necessary to inform them
 - especially when WordPress is used with language files.

 My suggestion is that Akismet checks if WordPress is used in localization
 and if yes, a notice is shown once. The notice should say something like
 "please check if the use of Akismet is allowed in your country" and should
 refer to a special page (in the Codex or on an specific WordPress country
 sites) where the current legal situation is mentioned.

 (Akismet can be used legally in Germany too, if you tell the user first,
 that some data are stored on foreign servers.)