[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17926: Wordpress replacing single quotes, dashes, and other basic characters with extended search-unfriendly ones

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Jun 29 01:50:02 UTC 2011

#17926: Wordpress replacing single quotes, dashes, and other basic characters with
extended search-unfriendly ones
 Reporter:  archon810     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 Noticed this problem a while ago, so I don't remember which Wordpress
 version it was introduced in. All of my sites (specifically
 AndroidPolice.com) exhibit it and even a high-profile site like
 TechCrunch.com does too.

 Pretty much all special characters are for some reason replaced by html
 entities, but not ones that are exactly the same.

 My biggest gripe is with a single quote character ' which is replaced with
 ’. ’ which shows up as ’ is not the same as ' and if you do an
 in-page search in something like Firefox, you won't be able to find
 "won't" because it's spelled as "won’t"

 Other entities are similar: - is replaced with – (although not every
 time?), etc.

 When I click Edit and go to the Edit post in HTML mode (I switched off
 WYSIWYG a long time ago), then View Source, I see regular characters, like
 single quote and dash, so Wordpress seems to convert them on the fly.

 This is highly annoying and makes in-page search using some punctuation
 characters almost impossible.

 What's going on?

 Thanks!