[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #15397: redirect_guess_404_permalink() purposedly doesn't guess posts with updated dates

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Jan 26 20:05:30 UTC 2011

#15397: redirect_guess_404_permalink() purposedly doesn't guess posts with updated
dates
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  archon810               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  new

Comment (by markjaquith):

 Good start. What about limiting the number of days that it can drift? I
 mean, what happens if you delete a post from 2004 with a slug of "my-post"
 and then subsequently you create a post in 2011 with a slug of "my-post" —
 you wouldn't want the 2004 URL to now redirect to the 2011 URL. When
 people change dates on posts, I'd wager that 90% of them change it plus or
 minus one day. We could restrict the changes to plus or minus 5 days (or
 so) and probably cover the majority of legitimate changes, without risking
 false redirection scenarios.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15397#comment:8>