[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16091: Revise WPDB implementation to use DB agnostic syntax (where possible) and support pluggable DB-specific functions

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jan 13 06:43:21 UTC 2011

#16091: Revise WPDB implementation to use DB agnostic syntax (where possible) and
support pluggable DB-specific functions
-----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  sc0ttkclark      |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by sc0ttkclark):

 Of course if you decide to do this it won't be because of this ticket. I'm
 not claiming ownership of this idea. I'm merely saying use this as a
 vehicle to promote further discussion, patch ideas, and in your case as a
 place to list reasons why it's not something that can be included in a
 future release.

 From what I've seen, the best way to get something going is to work on and
 provide patches, discuss amongst contributors / devs best ways to
 accomplish things, and someone spends time on it to push the idea forward.
 It's happened before, so why couldn't it happen now?

 Do you believe this ticket is too big and needs to be split into smaller
 more digestible tickets? I could understand that, but rejection of the
 entire idea (as explained throughout the ticket and more clearly in my
 last response) leaves me confused as I only picked up the context of "we
 don't want to." Could you provide some insight as to why it won't be
 pursued (and if it's a matter of man power, or if you just need some one
 to "own" it and push the idea into patches, testing, etc) in the near
 future?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16091#comment:12>