[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16100: Licensing Issue: Akismet Plugin external conflicts GPL version in it's readme.txt for WordPress package

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Jan 7 10:11:27 UTC 2011

#16100: Licensing Issue: Akismet Plugin external conflicts GPL version in it's
readme.txt for WordPress package
 Reporter:  hakre         |       Owner:

Comment (by hakre):

 Replying to [comment:6 jane]:
 > All tickets related to license will be addressed in 3.2.

 GPL v2 only or GPL v2+ code has to be removed from the package otherwise
 wordpress will be technically violating the terms of the GNU GPL. This is
 not only for any release in the past that contained such code, but also
 for any future release, including 3.1.

 As you're the release manager or at least in a close position to such a
 role for 3.1, I'm pretty sure you are in full power to make the needed
 decisions.

 If you decide (as outlined in your last comment) to not solve these known
 license issues prior to the next release but to punt them to 3.2, the
 violation is done with deliberate intention.

 I'm pretty sure that this will weaken the projects position to negotiate
 with copyright holders.

 Therefore to the best of my knowledge, I can only strongly advice to care
 about known issues prior to the next point release. Otherwise the project
 will loose a lot.

 Additionally please name an email address where a person from the
 wordpress can be reached regarding licensing questions.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16100#comment:7>