[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16092: default parameters used with generate_rewrite_rules for creating rules for extra_permastructs

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jan 3 21:54:31 UTC 2011

#16092: default parameters used with generate_rewrite_rules for creating rules for
extra_permastructs
---------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dnxpert        |      Owner:  John
     Type:  enhancement    |     Status:  new
Component:  Rewrite Rules  |    Version:  3.0.4
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:  extra permastructs rewrite
---------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Hi guys,

 In wp-includes/rewrite.php the function rewrite_rules calls
 "generate_rewrite_rules" with default parameters when creating rules for
 extra_permastructs.

 Hence, all extra_permastructs get rules for paging, feeds, walk dirs and
 all end points, and yet no rules for commenting.

 This logic kind of renders the add_permastructs function pointless - it
 definitely forced me to add my "extra" permastructs manually by using one
 of the available filters in the rewrite_rules function - since I didn't
 want any of the rules generate_rewrite_rules creates by default - I only
 happened to want the comment paging rule.

 Wouldn't the logical thing be to allow add_permastructs function callers
 to decide what rewrite rules they need for each extra permastruct they
 add?