[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19463: Archive page should not return 404 when requested page is larger than max page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Dec 7 04:39:24 UTC 2011

#19463: Archive page should not return 404 when requested page is larger than max
page
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  kayue          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  Rewrite Rules  |    Version:
 Severity:  major          |   Keywords:  needs-patch
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Right now Wordpress return 404 when requested page number is larger than
 max page, and this could be a problem when people changed posts_per_page
 on query_posts.

 For example, assuming the default post per page is 10 (in Reading
 Settings), and there are 15 posts in archive page (total 2 pages).

 In archive.php, if I change the post_per_page to 5, there will be totally
 3 pages. With the current implementation, the third page will return 404
 page not found, because with the default setting, this page shouldn't
 exist.

 I suggest Wordpress should still load archive.php even requested page is
 larger than max page, and use have_posts() to determine what to display
 (similar to loop-home.php)

 Related discussions in forum:

 * http://wordpress.org/support/topic/error-404-on-pagination-when-
 changing-posts_per_page-on-query_posts