[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17163: Allow plugins to specify how their settings page looks using the Settings API

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Apr 18 08:16:56 UTC 2011

#17163: Allow plugins to specify how their settings page looks using the Settings
API
 Reporter:  ptahdunbar   |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:  has-patch
 The settings API is great, but it would be even greater if the API gave
 plugins the ability to control how their settings are displayed on their
 pages instead of them being shoehorned into a table.

 To fix this, we'll need to patch the following two functions:

 - `do_settings_sections()`
 - `do_settings_fields()`

 Attached is a simple patch that allows plugins to filter the default
 display of sections and fields on a per page basis. It does this by adding
 a filter which specifies a callback function to handle the display of each
 section and field.

 I'd love to get some feedback on this. I believe this enhancement would
 greatly improve the adoption rate of the settings API in plugins as it
 removes the contrains on how their settings get displayed thus making it
 more useable for complex/custom admin pages.