[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10787: Send emails to notify Administrators that an update is avaialble for core|plugins|themes

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Oct 4 20:47:03 UTC 2010

#10787: Send emails to notify Administrators that an update is avaialble for
core|plugins|themes
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dd32             |        Owner:  dd32
     Type:  feature request  |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by JDTrower):

 Replying to [comment:11 demetris]:

 > Even if the scenario goes exactly as you imagine, and more and more
 people start checking the backend less and less, we could simply have the
 update notifications appear in the new admin bar too.  (Not only we could,
 but I believe we should:  this information is too important to omit from
 there.)

 Personally, I think it is a good idea to implement an email notification
 system into WordPress Core.  This allows blog administrators that update
 and maintain sites they are not the content producers for the opportunity
 to keep up with updates to plugins/themes/core that they might otherwise
 forget about in their day to day life.  What I don't want to see is
 WordPress relying on the new admin bar as the means of showing update
 notifications as the solution to this problem.  As soon as the admin bar
 makes it into WordPress core and is released to the public in a stable
 release, I will begin looking for the ability to permanently disable it on
 every WordPress site I run or administer.  I hate that bar on
 WordPress.com and I don't want it or need it on my self-hosted WordPress
 sites.

 +1 to a email notification system.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10787#comment:19>