[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13544: Use "Attachment URL" instead of "Post URL" in image uploader button to avoid confusion

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed May 26 00:40:55 UTC 2010

#13544: Use "Attachment URL" instead of "Post URL" in image uploader button to
avoid confusion
 Reporter:  jeremyclarke  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement   |      Status:  new
Component:  Upload        |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:
 I'm not sure why it is the way it is but the button in the image uploader
 that inserts the 'Post URL' into the 'Link URL' field is very confusing. I
 have been confused by it at regular intervals since it was introduced and
 users of my sites are clearly confused by it based on the way that they
 use it (always in insane and useless ways).

 This is what people see now:
 [[Image(http://simianuprising.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/wp-trac-post-
 url-attachment-url.png)]]

 In the context of editing a post and adding/inserting images I think it is
 very reasonable for a user to expect that the "Post URL" button would
 insert a link to the post they are editing, and very few users would
 conclude that it will link to a special post-like view showing only the
 image they are currently inserting. Why such a button would exist must
 seem pretty mysterious as no one would want to link the image to the post
 in which it lives, but that just means most people probably ignore the
 button (and use it by accident).

 I believe many users are not aware of the existence of the file
 attachement 'post view', and I really don't think that those who have
 figured out what they are would think of them as 'post url'. They are
 'posts' only in the most technical of senses (wp_posts table). The urls
 inserted by the 'post url' button could be much more effectively described
 as '''Attachment URL''' (based on their post_type), which explains what
 the url is while simultaneously informing the user that such a view exists

 Maybe I'm missing some important fact but I think this would help a lot of
 people understand the uploader better:
 [[Image(http://simianuprising.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/wp-trac-post-
 url-attachment-url2.png)]]