[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13527: Lots of things broken when multisite site is named "blog" — should not allow such blogs

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon May 24 21:33:09 UTC 2010

#13527: Lots of things broken when multisite site is named "blog" — should not
allow such blogs
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mitchoyoshitaka  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new
Component:  Multisite        |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  major            |    Keywords:
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 I just tried to create my first Multisite install (subdirectory style)
 and, as a first test, tried to create a site called "blog".

 Some of you who read this probably are already laughing. :(

 So here's what happens: it says the site was created, but...

 * going to /blog gives me a 404.
 * clicking on "backend" doesn't change the site I'm looking at.
 * logging into /wp-admin with the new site's admin credentials redirects
 me to /blog/wp-admin/?c=5 and says "You don’t have permission to view this
 site. Please contact the system administrator." There is then no clear way
 to "log out" and get rid of the credentials.

 Perhaps this actually is conflating a number of issues, but it most
 definitely seems related to the /blog URL resolution issues
 (#12002,#12931).

 '''IDEA:''' If the /blog URL issue is not going to be resolved for 3.0, I
 suggest that sites with the address /blog be disallowed. An error should
 be returned saying "that site address is not allowed."