[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12931: Upgrading a Single Site install to MultiSite Install with Subdirs is not safe

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri May 21 14:13:21 UTC 2010

#12931: Upgrading a Single Site install to MultiSite Install with Subdirs is not
safe
 Reporter:  nacin         |       Owner:  nacin
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  accepted
Component:  Multisite     |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  blocker       |    Keywords:  needs-patch

Comment(by wpmuguru):

 Replying to [comment:14 nacin]:
 > But they need to *know* fully that they are changing their blog. They
 need to confirm their actions in the opt-in affirmative. My proposal is
 that they should be required to add a filter in that case. If they can't
 add a filter, it's the same deal with constants -- then they shouldn't be
 running multisite in 3.0.

 The only thing your proposal confirms is that it's an empty install. It
 does not confirm that anyone knows anything. Example way around the filter
 (current or proposed):

 - Export posts, do a fresh install, enable the network, import posts

 Replying to [comment:14 nacin]:
 > I am quite literally proposing that if it is not a completely empty
 install, then they may not install subdirectories, unless they trash all
 of their posts or add a filter.

 The only significant difference between what's currently in place and
 requiring an empty install is for people who are novice to WP and are
 planning on having a network when the site goes live. In that instance,
 what's currently in place allows them a month to get familiar with WP
 before turning on the network and extra admin screens. What you are
 proposing is push them to immediately enable the network after installing
 without stopping to learn anything about WP.

 I understand (and appreciate) what you are trying to do. What's currently
 in place will prevent anyone with an established site from enabling the
 network until they do a bit of research. To novices, what you are
 proposing will make WP more confusing & intimidating.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12931#comment:15>