[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13459: Conflict between post and page slugs/permalinks when permalink setting is set to /%postname%/

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu May 20 04:56:28 UTC 2010

#13459: Conflict between post and page slugs/permalinks when permalink setting is
set to /%postname%/
 Reporter:  jamescollins  |       Owner:  ryan
Component:  Permalinks    |     Version:  2.9.2
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:
 If Dashboard -> Settings -> Permalinks is set to /%postname%/, it is
 possible to create both a page and a post with the same slug. When viewing
 via the frontend, the page is always displayed.

 I would have thought that WordPress should prevent a post and a page from
 having the same permalink.

 Steps to reproduce:
 1. Create and publish a page with any slug. eg. http://domain.com/test/.
 2. Create and publish a blog post with the same slug. Wordpress says the
 that URL it displays the page instead.

 I can reproduce this on my 2.9.2 install, as well as 3.0 trunk. I'm
 guessing the bug is present in earlier versions of WordPress as well.

 Possibly related: #11863