[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13417: Multi-site first says I'm not allowed to use subdirectories, then won't let me use subdomains

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon May 17 00:52:25 UTC 2010

#13417: Multi-site first says I'm not allowed to use subdirectories, then won't let
me use subdomains
 Reporter:  beatpanda     |       Owner:
Component:  General       |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  major         |    Keywords:
 First, I should say I have a non-standard setup- I'm using the latest
 versions of nginx and PHP via fastCGI, using PHP-FPM as the fastCGI
 process manager.

 I went to enable multisite. I added all the lines required in my wp-
 config.php, and I have what should be the correct rewrite rules in my
 configuration (they work with WPMU for subdomains, anyway), and everything
 seemed to work fine.

 On the "enable multisite" page, it told me that I didn't have the option
 to use sub-directories because my install was more than a month old. I
 wanted sub-domains anyway, so that was fine. Multi-site turned on and
 everything seemed OK.

 However, when I went to actually add a site, it only let me use sub-
 directories. The sub-directories worked as expected, but it seemed
 especially odd since it told me I *couldn't* use sub-directories in the
 first place.