[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12661: In TwentyTen Theme, use of Post Thumbnail in Content Area instead of as Header Replacement

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Mar 21 18:17:00 UTC 2010

#12661: In TwentyTen Theme, use of Post Thumbnail in Content Area instead of as
Header Replacement
 Reporter:  mikeschinkel  |       Owner:
Component:  Themes        |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:
 I just spent 1/2 hour with an end user trying to figure out why the site
 got all whacked out when a post thumbnail was assigned using the Twenty
 Ten theme. She was very confused because it appeared to her that the
 header disappeared and the thumbnail was forced up to the top left corner.
 After diving into the code I realized it was by design!

 Please reconsider this. I'm pretty sure most people (myself included)
 would think the post thumbnail would show up in the content area, not in
 the header. Not doing so simply leads to confusion, especially for less
 skilled users and I think that is completely counter to WordPress'
 philosophy and definitely something those of us who deal with end users
 will have to repeatedly make excuses for WordPress doing (i.e. ''like my
 end user who said to me "Why the heck would it do that?!?! That's brain-
 dead!!!'')

 And if for some strange reason someone is in love with this behavior
 please make it an option in theme settings, and make replacing the header
 not the default option.

 (BTW, my end user is working with me to enter data on a site of my own
 where I'm using WP3.0 and TwentyTen, this is not a client project.)