[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13988: No Obvious Way to End Maitenance Mode / Problems Upgrading Large Plugins on 1and1

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Jun 19 03:37:47 UTC 2010

#13988: No Obvious Way to End Maitenance Mode / Problems Upgrading Large Plugins on
1and1
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  layotte          |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  major            |    Keywords:  maitenance mode, plugins, upgrade
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 I'm sure this affects all hosts like 1and1, but there was a plugin I was
 trying to auto-upgrade (s2member) from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5.

 When I was in WP2.9.2 I received an allocation error. Basically 1and1
 restricts the memory_limit and there is no way to up it. So I wanted to
 see what would happen in WP3.0. I auto-upgraded to WP3.0 without a
 problem. Under the "Dashboard" there was a (1) next to Updates. I clicked
 "Updates" and put a check mark next to s2Member and clicked the "Update
 Plugins" button.

 From here I got the standard WP3.0 message about going into "Maintenance
 Mode" and that it may take a while to upgrade the plugin, with a little
 swirly GIF pretending that progress is happening :).

 I assume that it stuck on the same allocation error and never actually did
 anything. After about 5 minutes, I tried to browse to a different location
 of wp-admin. I received this message "Briefly unavailable for scheduled
 maintenance. Check back in a minute."

 So, as I see...

 1) The admin should not be restricted from browsing the site/wp-admin in
 "Maintenance Mode"
 2) The admin should be able to cancel "Maintenance Mode" (or if there is a
 way, it should be obvious)
 3) The auto-upgrade/maintenance mode needs to die gracefully when an error
 occurs, such as a memory_limit is reached.

 In the mean time, how do I kill maintenance mode so I can get back to
 working on my site? :)

 Thanks.
 Lew Ayotte

 P.S. I set this to prority to "highest omg bbq" and "severity" to major
 because this has the potential to severally affect non-technical WP users.
 (from what I can tell)f