[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #14218: TinyMCE inserts font-size style attribute on webkit browsers (i.e. Chrome and Safari) when browser is not at default zoom

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Jul 6 21:23:13 UTC 2010

#14218: TinyMCE inserts font-size style attribute on webkit browsers (i.e. Chrome
and Safari) when browser is not at default zoom
 Reporter:  jsdalton      |       Owner:
Component:  TinyMCE       |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:
 If you use the "visual" editing mode on a blog post in a Webkit-based
 browser, such as Google Chrome or Safari, and if you have your zoom level
 not at default, e.g. if you zoom out a notch or two from the browser's
 view menu, TinyMCE will insert style rules around certain blocks of text
 that specify a fixed font-size.

 These would be the steps to reproduce the bug:

 1. Open an edit or new post window from Google Chrome or Safari (for Mac).

 2. Ensure the browser is zoomed out (i.e. everything should be smaller) a
 notch or two.

 3. Set one of the paragraphs of text to be e.g. an unordered list.

 4. Flip over to the HTML mode. You should see that in addition to wrapping
 the text with <li>, tinymce has also added something like <span style
 ="font-size: 13.333px">...</span> around the text.

 I have reproduced this error on both Google Chrome and Safari for Mac. I
 am not able to replicate this bug in Firefox. I have not tested it on
 other browsers or platforms. I have shown it to other people and they have
 been able to reproduce it as well, so please let me know if you cannot
 reproduce it.

 An editor at one of the publications I develop for was baffled by this
 behavior for several weeks until we figured it out. Not sure if this can
 be addressed via the Wordpress codebase directly (since I believe it's
 probably a TinyMCE issue) but perhaps the behavior can be managed via a
 config setting)?