[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #1597: balanceTags() doesn't filter self-closing tags which shouldn't be self-closed

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Jan 17 15:15:44 UTC 2010

#1597: balanceTags() doesn't filter self-closing tags which shouldn't be self-
closed
 Reporter:  frenzie       |        Owner:  rob1n
     Type:  defect (bug)  |       Status:  reopened
Changes (by Frenzie):

  * status:  closed => reopened
  * version:  1.5.2 => 2.9.1
  * resolution:  wontfix =>

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:10 rob1n]:
 > Not WordPress' purview. It's up to the user, IMO.

 In Opera it doesn't matter because the STRONG (or whatever) elements will
 be closed in the DOM when the containing element (i.e. typically LI for
 comments) is closed, but meanwhile I could still severely disrupt the
 display of comments for users of Firefox, IE or other browsers that parse
 things along the same lines.

 Indeed if the user were only the author(s) I wouldn't disagree with you,
 but the "user" includes random, anonymous commenters. Should they really
 be allowed free reign, if only for the few days it takes before their
 comment is deleted and/or edited (depending on malicious vs. unintentional
 as a value judgment by the person who has to decide what to do). I think
 not.

 The code still exists on line 1045 of formatting.php today, so the quick
 and dirty fix I wrote all these years ago could still be applied instantly
 to protect against such abuse.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1597#comment:11>