[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #14602: Create user_can, refactor current_user_can, author_can, current_user_can_for_blog

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Aug 12 18:13:00 UTC 2010

#14602: Create user_can, refactor current_user_can, author_can,
current_user_can_for_blog
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  simonwheatley  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement    |      Status:  new
Component:  Users          |     Version:  3.0.1
 Severity:  normal         |    Keywords:  has-patch needs-testing
 Currently we have no function to pass a user ID and a capability/rolewhich
 will return whether the user can perform that role or has that capability.
 Further, the functions {{{current_user_can}}}, {{{author_can}}}, and
 {{{current_user_can_for_blog}}} have some code duplication.

 I suggest adding a new function {{{user_can}}}, which accepts any user_ID
 or a user object and a capability, and returns a boolean. The other
 {{{*_can*}}} functions can then be refactored to use the new function.

 See attached patch.