[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10829: Comment threading depth of "1" disabled threading and is redundant and confusing

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Sep 22 05:58:43 UTC 2009

#10829: Comment threading depth of "1" disabled threading  and is redundant and
confusing
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  markjaquith  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Component:  Comments     |     Version:  2.9
 Severity:  normal       |    Keywords:
 When comment threading is enabled and the depth is set to 1, threading
 will not work, because the depth is '''total''' depth, not depth of child
 comments.

 There is a checkbox to enable/disable threading, so it is confusing and
 redundant to allow setting depth to 1. My WordPress.com blog has sat like
 that for 8 months and I thought it wasn't working because the theme didn't
 support it!

 The depth should start at 2. That also has the benefit of making obvious
 that it's talking about total depth, instead of depth of child comments.