[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11258: Edit Comments > Quick Buttons ordering should be changed, with "Spam" becoming less accessible

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Nov 27 18:46:23 UTC 2009

#11258: Edit Comments > Quick Buttons ordering should be changed, with "Spam"
becoming less accessible
 Reporter:  lloydbudd     |        Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by caesarsgrunt):

 Replying to [comment:16 Denis-de-Bernardy]:
 > Btw, how is it that this got committed in the first place? It had a -1
 vote almost immediately. (Which now stands at -2.)

 > The proper thing to do is to revert the change, stick to the legacy
 order in 2.9, and revisit this in 3.0.
 I agree with this wholeheartedly.

 I see what you mean about the inconsistencies, although there are slight
 inconsistencies amongst the other examples too. Also, I'd think there are
 some issues with the order of some of the other actions anyway.

 Personally, my current opinion (though I am open to discussion) is that
 ''moderation actions'' want to be first, since that's the main thing you
 do. Then ''edit actions'', then ''delete actions''.[[BR]]
 '''Reply''' doesn't fit any of those categories. It could come between any
 of these three sections so far as I'm concerned, but I'd be most
 comfortable with it on the far right, as a sort of ''misc actions'' area.
 View/Preview links in the rest of the site would also fit in misc, and are
 currently on the far right.[[BR]]
 '''Spam''' could be argued to be either a ''moderation action'' or a
 ''deletion action'', but I am firmly on the moderation side, and would put
 it at the end of the first section.[[BR]]
 Note that by "sections" I am not talking about dividing the links up
 visually; just ordering them by these conceptual groupings.

 So, based on the above, my order for comment actions would be :

 Approve | Spam | Quick Edit | Edit | Trash | Reply

 I think this is consistent with the rest of the UI, since the ''moderation
 actions'' don't exist for anything else and so there is no precedent for
 them, and the rest follow the order of other pages as well as being
 conceptually grouped.

 An alternative order, moving Reply as mentioned above, would be

 Approve | Spam | Reply | Quick Edit | Edit | Trash

 I'd be very happy with either of these, but am open to discussion.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11258#comment:17>