[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #9695: New widget interface moves the wrong inaccessible widgets when switching themes (was: New widget interface moves inaccessible widgets when switching themes)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri May 1 22:52:08 GMT 2009

#9695: New widget interface moves the wrong inaccessible widgets when switching
themes
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  Denis-de-Bernardy  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Component:  Widgets            |     Version:  2.8
 Severity:  major              |    Keywords:  needs-patch
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Changes (by Denis-de-Bernardy):

  * severity:  normal => major

Comment:

 Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully agree the current interface is a major
 improvement. just...

 Please check the two dumps above. The first one contains widgets in a
 sidebar-1. The second one contains the widgets from the first sidebar
 (the_entry) into sidebar-1. Something's very wrong here.

 At the very least, it should put the widgets in the correct locations when
 sidebar names are shared. Most themes use sidebar-1, sidebar-2, and
 frequently share similar names for the top, bottom, left and right
 sidebars (top_sidebar or top-sidebar, etc.). There is no need to try to be
 smart by tossing widgets from similarly named sidebars into their new
 equivalents, but it should at least keep sidebars whose names are exactly
 the same.

 The other point I find strange is, why is the sidebars_widgets option
 edited even before any changes are made? It seems like there is no need to
 do this unless widgets are moved around, no?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9695#comment:6>