[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10513: Custom XML-RPC methods can't reuse functions in WordPress' XML-RPC server object

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Jul 29 15:46:14 UTC 2009

#10513: Custom XML-RPC methods can't reuse functions in WordPress' XML-RPC server
object
 Reporter:  davecpage     |       Owner:  josephscott
Component:  XML-RPC       |     Version:  2.9
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  extending xmlrpc has-patch needs-testing
 When extending XML-RPC with custom methods you cannot reuse the functions
 of the main WordPress wp_xmlrpc_server object. The object does all it's
 work within the constructor function and by the time any other code could
 use the global variable $wp_xmlrpc_server everything has finished.

 This issue was discovered during the recent WordCampUK WordHack session
 and meant we couldn't reuse the built-in login function of
 wp_xmlrpc_server to authenticate a user.

 The code just needs to finish assigning the object to $wp_xmlrpc_server on
 line 3405 then have a separate function that calls the base IXR_Server
 function on line 204.

 I have a patch that adds this extra step but it can be adjusted if needed.