[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #6698: Editing a published post causes excessive pings / closing comments on old posts causes trackbacks

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jul 20 07:50:05 UTC 2009

#6698: Editing a published post causes excessive pings / closing comments on old
posts causes trackbacks
------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  lapcat            |        Owner:  Denis-de-Bernardy
     Type:  defect (bug)      |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by Huvet):

 Denis-de-Bernardy: In my opinion, excessive pinging on edit and closing of
 a post, shouldn't prompt a wordpress change that changes the user
 experience for everyone. I rely on pinging to get my posts indexed by
 (several different) search engines, and since I report on current news
 events, being indexed one hour late, means someone else's article will be
 indexed instead. This is serious, and I believe a serious hit to wordpress
 as a platform.

 Now, you're saying that this can be overridden with a plugin, but I
 believe the default wordpress installation should be as good as possible.
 It shouldn't demand installation of plugins to work for a news blog.

 The only good reason to change this that I see (default behaviour), is if
 ping services would complain to wordpress that they are getting too much
 traffic. But I highly doubt this. Can't Google handle the load? Of course
 they can, and they can handle eventual (rare) dublicates that we send
 them.

 Have anyone initiated contact with pinging services, and asked them what
 they think of this change? My guess is that they will be furious, that we
 take away their chance to get updates directly when someone posts them
 (Google will have a harder time to pick up blog posts).

 To me, there are two options:

 1) Change the patch to only affect *edits* of a post, not the initial
 publish event.
 2) Make throttling of all posts a plugin instead (add hooks or what you
 need to make it happen). The reason for this is that I think that
 excessive pinging is a less important problem than delayed crawling.

 No matter what change you decide to go forward with, please think this
 through.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6698#comment:31>