[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10363: Permalinks with a Static Directory Fail if the Static Directory is Accesed Directly

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jul 9 15:49:15 UTC 2009

Directly
 Reporter:  e39m5         |        Owner:  ryan
     Type:  defect (bug)  |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by filosofo):

 Replying to [comment:8 e39m5]:
 > So, shouldn't it force a redirect?  It seems odd that the software so
 willingly allows me to create a dead URL.  Creating a page to resolve the
 issue is an obscure solution that requires a ton of unnecessary, extra

 Why should it force a redirect?  There's no reason to assume that a
 request for /blog/ should redirect to /.  Suppose the prefix is several
 pseudo-directories deep (e.g. {{{/my/permalink/structure/%whatever%/}}});
 should WP redirect every request for each of those "directories"
 ({{{/my/}}}, {{{/my/permalink/}}}, and {{{/my/permalink/}}}) to the root?
 The current behavior of responding with a 404 makes the most sense for
 most situations.

 There are millions of obscure things that WordPress lets people do; it's
 powerful and flexible that way.  That doesn't imply that core should
 include an option for all of them.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10363#comment:9>