[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #8919: previous_comments_link and next_comments_link needs nofollow to avoid duplicate content

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jan 22 09:22:33 GMT 2009

#8919: previous_comments_link and next_comments_link needs nofollow to avoid
duplicate content
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  DarkPepe     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Component:  Comments     |     Version:  2.7
 Severity:  major        |    Keywords:  comments, nofollow,
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Hi, lots of users are reporting (including me) about a duplicated content
 problem generated on the paged comments feature.

 Since each page reproduces the post content but displays the next/previous
 comments, google is picking the new permalink as a duplicated content
 page. Example:

 www.site.com/post-name/
 www.site.com/post-name/comment-page-2/

 In those permalinks, google catches the content as duplicated regardless
 the extension and actual content of the comments.

 http://www.wihe.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/google-webmaster.gif
 (spanish)

 Both duplicated content and duplicated title tags are beeing detected by
 google's webmasters tools.

 The solution I found are implementing nofollow via a denial string on
 robots.txt or evenadding a meta string for nofollow based on cpage
 function.

 Probably the best solution will be to add a nofollow property directly on
 the comments_link function

 wp-includes/link-template.php
 @line 1277 (Public 2.7 Branch)

 {{{
         echo '<a href="' . clean_url( get_comments_pagenum_link(
 $nextpage, $max_page ) );
 }}}

 Replace with:

 {{{
         echo '<a rel="nofollow" href="' . clean_url(
 get_comments_pagenum_link( $nextpage, $max_page ) );
 }}}

 Then @line 1307:

 {{{
         echo '<a href="' .
 clean_url(get_comments_pagenum_link($prevpage));
 }}}

 replace with:

 {{{
         echo '<a rel="nofollow" href="' .
 clean_url(get_comments_pagenum_link($prevpage));
 }}}

 Well, probably you guys are way better programers than me and can come
 with a better solution for this.

 Thank you!

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8919>