[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #8915: Multi-Byte characters not readable because "latin1_swedish_ci" is set by default of WP 2.7 Install

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jan 22 02:28:03 GMT 2009

#8915: Multi-Byte characters not readable because "latin1_swedish_ci" is set by
default of WP 2.7 Install
 Reporter:  misty9        |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect (bug)  |       Status:  closed
Changes (by ryan):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => wontfix
  * milestone:  2.8 =>

Comment:

 In this case, either DB_CHARSET has been defined or the default collation
 for the database has changed since the older tables were created.  We can
 check the charset on existing tables when creating new tables during
 upgrade, but I doubt bothering will be worth the potential for bugs since
 this is very much an edge case.  Further, we might someday do as Drupal
 does and convert existing tables to UTF-8, which would address this.  In
 the meantime, marking this wontfix.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8915#comment:6>