[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #8783: Plugin Uninstall - Make it optional to uninstall the plugin on delete if uninstall.php exists within the plugin folder

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Jan 20 07:09:33 GMT 2009

#8783: Plugin Uninstall - Make it optional to uninstall the plugin on delete if
uninstall.php exists within the plugin folder
 Reporter:  sc0ttkclark   |        Owner:
     Type:  enhancement   |       Status:  new
Comment (by jacobsantos):

 The discussions with Ryan Boren (core developer, works for Automattic), I
 believe I discussed having the uninstall optional. Basically, the setup
 would be that you had a button to uninstall the plugin with the delete
 button.

 The problem with this is that it was slightly confusing with its use case.
 It was decided and agreed that someone who is deleting a plugin most
 likely will want nothing to do with it again and therefore the plugin
 should clean up after itself. If the user decides it wants the
 information, they can either look at a backup of their database or
 reconfigure the plugin again at a later date.

 I agree, that at least some users will want to at some point reinstall the
 plugin and be confused when they've lost all of their settings. However,
 if they wanted to at some point reactivate the plugin, they would have
 just kept it inactive until which point they wanted it again and
 reactivate it with their settings.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8783#comment:12>