[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #9055: mb_strcut in wp_html_excerpt seems to count bytes (not characters). Use mb_substr instead?

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Feb 5 16:19:43 GMT 2009

#9055: mb_strcut in wp_html_excerpt seems to count bytes (not characters).  Use
mb_substr instead?
 Reporter:  demetris      |       Owner:  nbachiyski
Component:  i18n          |     Version:  2.8
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  has-patch tested needs-testing
 The result is that strings with multibyte characters are cut too short.

 An instance of this can be seen on edit-comments.php.  I have a post with
 this title:

 αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ

 ... which is 49 characters long (the 24 letters of the Greek alphabet + 1
 space + the 24 letters in capital form), that is, just below the cut-off
 limit (50).  But WP cuts the string after the 25th character, displaying:

 Edit Comments on “αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω ”

 Replacing mb_strcut with mb_substr in wp_html_excerpt seems to fix this.
 I tried with Japanese and with Greek on WP 2.7 branch and on WP trunk and
 everything SEEMS to be OK.

 Is there a reason mb_substr was not used there?  Maybe some issue that has
 been resolved in the meantime?

 Please note that I’m not a coder and that much of this stuff goes over my
 head. :-)

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9055>