[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11470: Don't have wp_delete_post and wp_delete_attachment trash the item by default

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Dec 17 08:29:22 UTC 2009

#11470: Don't have wp_delete_post and wp_delete_attachment trash the item by
default
 Reporter:  nacin         |       Owner:
Component:  Trash         |     Version:  2.9
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  dev-feedback

Comment(by nacin):

 The issue is partially standardization -- the comment functions use a
 third option, which is that wp_trash_comment() falls back to
 wp_delete_comment(), not the other way around. If there is a desire for
 the wp_delete_* functions to work strictly how they previously did, this
 is better than option 2. But I think I'm leaning toward 1 over 3 so
 plugins are exposed to Trash, even though I argued for the opposite.

 I had been working with the comments admin recently, in a plugin and some
 Trac tickets, so I had been used to option 3 and strict back compat. But
 after looking through how wp_delete_post and wp_delete_attachment are
 called in core, I'm leaning toward option 1. azaozz had me nearly
 convinced as it is.

 This would require us to only really change the comment functions and
 admin.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11470#comment:3>