[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10609: WP writes htaccess file in account root when changing the URL in the admin area

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Aug 13 23:17:34 UTC 2009

#10609: WP writes htaccess file in account root when changing the URL in the admin
area
 Reporter:  pyxis630        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |     Version:  2.8.4
 Severity:  normal          |    Keywords:
 When I changed the URL settings in the General Settings area from a temp
 value to the final one WordPress re-wrote the .htaccess file into the
 account root instead of the website root. I could repeat this
 successfully. Subsequently the website didn't work (500 error).

 I also could repeat this behavior on a XAMPP setup on my Windows PC. The
 WP setup I used for testing this wrote the .htaccess file directly into
 c:\

 The website account is a VPS like setup where PHP (5.2.9) runs in cgi mode
 (Linux server).

 Looks like this bug happens when the system runs in CGI mode. I could not
 repeat this on a test setup on a Linux server that uses php_mod instead.