[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10541: WP 2.8.2 and 2.8.3 failing due to fs_connect() returning false 'directory doesn't exist'

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Aug 4 02:07:12 UTC 2009

#10541: WP 2.8.2 and 2.8.3 failing due to fs_connect() returning false 'directory
doesn't exist'
 Reporter:  jimsky7       |       Owner:
Component:  General       |     Version:  2.9
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:
 Under some conditions (may be because web server docroot differs from the
 FTP base directory) WP 2.8.2 and now WP 2.8.3 auto-upgrades fail.  See
 discussion here with more details ->
 http://wordpress.org/support/topic/296758

 When I try an auto-upgrade I get a message "Installation failed" before
 any attempt is even made to download the zip file.

 Here's the detail I reported in that forum posting:

 I have traced through the code that performs the auto-upgrade and for
 reasons not yet known to me it checks to see if the directory "/" exists
 (it's checking for ABSPATH and WP_CONTENT_DIR before it begins upgrading)
 and the check fails ... so my upgrade stops. No error message is being
 returned from fs_connect() [in file wp-upgrader.php] which is the routine
 that is called to check for existence of various directories before an
 upgrade can begin. I don't see why there's no error message generated
 (yet) in fs_connect(). I modified the code so it would skip checking if
 the directory name is "/" and my upgrade to 2.8.3 was performed just fine
 - took about 60 seconds.

 wp_update_core() instantiates a Core_Upgrader and the ->upgrade method is
 invoked, and the Core_Upgrader does this
                 $res = $this->fs_connect( array(ABSPATH, WP_CONTENT_DIR)
 );
 and fs_connect() performs a check on "/" (which is the FTP root directory
 rather than the docroot which in my case is /var/www/sky/) instead of what
 we expected ABSPATH to be and fails.  For reasons unknown to me, no error
 is reported back to be shown in the window, so this is kind of tough to
 debug.

 Sorry that I had to report this as WP 2.9 in Trac because 2.8.2 and 2.8.3
 are not available as Version numbers in the popup.