[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #8729: "WordPress 2.7 is available! Please update now." Displayed in WordPress 2.7 Dashboard.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 22 13:57:33 GMT 2009

#8729: "WordPress 2.7 is available! Please update now." Displayed in WordPress 2.7
Dashboard.
 Reporter:  miqrogroove   |       Owner:  nbachiyski
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned
Component:  i18n          |     Version:  2.7
 Severity:  major         |    Keywords:  has-patch

Comment(by Denis-de-Bernardy):

 Quite honestly, I'd be curious to know how long it takes for the mo file
 to get updated.

 For what it's worth, here's what I do with my customers: I disable WP
 update notifications entirely. Only when a new version of Semiologic Pro
 is around (usually a week or two later), do they receive a notification.
 That way, they're not confused into upgrading WP when the latter can
 potentially break the plugins that they use. Once I make sure everything
 works fine do they see a nag in their admin area. And Tools / Upgrade will
 conveniently let them upgrade WP, and my themes, and my plugins, all in
 one go.

 Now, I arguably don't maintain mo files, but it seems to me that localized
 versions of WP should behave more or less the same, at least until a
 reasonably long amount of time has elapsed. As long as their install can
 potentially "break" (in the sense that it won't show captions in their
 preferred language), they should not see the nag. When Tools / Upgrade
 will give the correct mo file alongside WP, they should get the nag.

 Arguably, some mo files might be dropped at some point from lack of
 support by translation teams. For this reason, we could consider that a
 week or two after the initial WP update is a long enough delay. If the mo
 isn't done by then, we could consider that nobody is maintaining the mo
 file.

 Along the same lines, it might make sense to only enforce the above-
 mentioned behavior for major updates (e.g. 2.6 to 2.7), and not for minor
 ones (2.6 to 2.6.1). After all, minor updates are frequently security
 related, and it's better to have wrong caption or two than a hopelessly
 hacked site.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8729#comment:30>