[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #7294: Minor changes checkbox for post revisions / possible new table for revisions

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Jul 20 06:48:31 GMT 2008

#7294: Minor changes checkbox for post revisions / possible new table for
revisions
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  lilyfan                        |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  enhancement                    |       Status:  new
Comment (by rawalex):

 Replying to [comment:3 DD32]:

 > Absolutely no reason why that cant be done with the post stored in the
 *_posts table. The post_type is set to 'revision' and theres Indexes on
 the appropriate fields to speed lookups

 If the tables were properly indexed, if the queries were all good, and
 people didn't abuse the existing functions to extract data, you might be
 onto something.  But the reality is that many of the queries used are not
 that effecient, and plugins like the google sitemap can just about wipe a
 virtual out.

 > Quite simply, enough people don't need revision history at all
 >
 > Well, Revisions are a great benfit to many people, However many people
 do not realise how useful they are, However, It is both possible to
 disable completely, And also limit it to storing x number of Revisions
 (Excluding autosaves): http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6775#comment:29

 I don't deny that revisions are a benefit to many people.  Glasses are a
 benefit to many people, but if you don't need them, they are pointless.
 Seeing that it is so easy to tune this setup, what would it hurt to have
 something in the settings that would allow this to be decided by the
 individual blog owner and not to a single programmer with a personal
 opinion?

 > I do believe the Overhead would be very minimal, Database indicies are
 used for a reason, To speed lookups and filtering, The post table probably
 allready contains more attachments than posts for some people as it is.

 Indexing is only part of the game, it cannot make up for horrible queries,
 poorly created joins, or other poor query habits.  Indexes can't solve
 every problem, and those poorly written queries will ignore the indexes or
 waste them if not done right.

 My suggestion would be create a test blog with 10,000 posts and 4
 revisions per post, and then start running queries, sitemaps, and such.
 Then let me know how the performance changes when you delete the 40k
 revisions.   I think you will see a minor difference in normal things like
 page builds, tags, etc.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7294#comment:4>