[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #6871: Plugins without headers don't show in the plugins page, keeping some exploits hidden

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 30 13:26:09 GMT 2008

#6871: Plugins without headers don't show in the plugins page, keeping some
exploits hidden
------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  guillep2k         |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect            |       Status:  new
Changes (by guillep2k):

  * milestone:  2.6 => 2.5.2

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:4 DD32]:
 > It provides Zero protection for exploits written/modified after its
 implemented, It provides little protection for exploits written before
 implementation.

 I'm sorry to disagree. There are other kinds of attack you don't seem to
 be considering. This hack in particular seems to have been executed using
 the following steps:

 1) Through TinyMCE, uploaded PHP code as a .jpg temporary file.
 2) Through SQL injection (entry point still unknown), added the uploaded
 code as a plugin.
 3) Finished instalation of the plugin by executing the blog's home page.

 So, DD32's proposal would REALLY be effective against this kind of attack.
 Let me change the milestone back to 2.5.2. If you still disagree, change
 it back to 2.6 and I will not touch it again.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6871#comment:6>