[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #3886: wrong server protocol for HTTP/1.0 requests resulting in uninterpreted chunked encoding

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Feb 27 19:51:48 GMT 2007

#3886: wrong server protocol for HTTP/1.0 requests resulting in uninterpreted
chunked encoding
 Reporter:  abtime   |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect   |      Status:  new
Component:  General  |     Version:  2.1.1
 Severity:  major    |    Keywords:
 After upgrading to php5.2.1 we found "strange hex numbers" at the
 beginning and in the middle of the html code, occasionally blank pages,
 and malfunctioning javascripts.
 This behaviour was only visible when using a proxy, e.g. squid or Novell
 Bordermanager.

 On closer inspection of the request and response headers, we found out
 that (some) proxies use HTTP/1.0, but WordPress always returned a HTTP/1.1
 header.

 We were able to fix this problem by changing the response header in wp-
 inclues/functions.php in the function status_header().

 {{{

 wp-includes/functions.php
 -               @header("HTTP/1.1 $header $text", true, $header);
 +               @header($_SERVER["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]." ".$header." ".$text,
 true, $header);

 }}}

 I am not sure if this breaks any other functionality, and whether a patch
 is needed for earlier php versions.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3886>