[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6510: wp_strip_all_tags() Developer handbook: Description has something missing at the end.

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 25 21:53:47 UTC 2024

#6510: wp_strip_all_tags() Developer handbook: Description has something missing
at the end.
---------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  krupalpanchal  |       Owner:  coffee2code
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by coffee2code):

 * owner:  (none) => coffee2code
 * status:  new => accepted

Comment:

 Thanks for the report! There are actually two issues at play here.

 The first issue is that what is rendered as a curly double-quote should
 actually be two non-curly single quotes (to denote an empty string). That
 unfortunate character conversion should be handled by the theme.

 The second issue is that even though it looks like there is text missing
 at the end, there isn't; the inline documentation for
 `wp_strip_all_tags()` [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/blob/6.6/src/wp-includes/formatting.php#L5506 does not] have a
 period at the end of the sentence. This makes it seem as if text has been
 omitted. (Additionally, for clarity, the documentation should explicitly
 say that it returns an empty string.)

 For the core change, I would recommend changing

 ` * will return 'something'. wp_strip_all_tags will return ''`

 ` * will return 'something'. wp_strip_all_tags will return an empty
 string.`

 I'll file this second issue on core.trac.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6510#comment:1>