[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #7696: Release confirmation: Releases made when RC is disabled don't show up upon enabling

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 4 03:22:49 UTC 2024

#7696: Release confirmation: Releases made when RC is disabled don't show up upon
enabling
------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  dd32              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new
Description changed by dd32:

Old description:

> When a plugin has release confirmations are enabled, we store some
> metadata about each release that is made.
>
> This metadata is specific to release confirmations, and is not related to
> the 'previous versions' metadata.
>
> When RC is first enabled, we pull in all previously-known releases into
> the history metadata.
>
> When a new release is made while RC is active, we add it to that
> metadata.[[BR]]
> If RC is not enabled, we don't add metadata.
>
> Some plugins have enabled RC, and then had it deactivated, and later have
> re-enabled it. When this happens, the metadata ends up being out-of-sync,
> as we haven't stored any releases into the data while it was disabled,
> and because there was previous data, we haven't filled it generated data.
>
> For example:
>
> 1. Release 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2
> 2. Enable RC. Metadata has 1.0-1.2.
> 3. Release 1.3, and 1.4.
> 4. Disable RC. Metadata has 1.0~1.4
> 5. Release 1.5, and 1.6.
> 6. Re-enable Release Confirmation. Metadata still only has 1.0~1.4.
> 7. Release 1.7. Metadata now has 1.0~1.4 + 1.7
>
> This causes some plugin authors to be concerned at step 6, as they're
> afraid that they won't get confirmation notices for the upcoming 1.7
> release.
>
> This also causes some data issues as now they don't have the 1.5+1.6
> releases showing up in their release history.
>
> Ideally, we should either:
>  - Always add releases made by plugins to metadata, regardless of RC. (my
> personal preference)
>  - If RC metadata is present but not enabled, add metadata upon new known
> releases anyway.
>  - Discard data upon it being disabled, or, when re-enabled fill in any
> releases made while it was deactivated.
>
> This is slightly complicated by releases from trunk, which RC does not
> support, so the metadata may be incomplete for those "releases". (See
> also, #6380)

New description:

 When a plugin has release confirmations are enabled, we store some
 metadata about each release that is made.

 This metadata is specific to release confirmations, and is not related to
 the 'previous versions' metadata.

 When ~~RC is first enabled~~ the list of releases is first requested, we

Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7696#comment:4>