[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #7025: Field "Contributor Focuses" likely actually means "Contribution Focuses" as in "Focuses of this issue"

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 31 09:12:54 UTC 2023

#7025: Field "Contributor Focuses" likely actually means "Contribution Focuses" as
in "Focuses of this issue"
-------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  abitofmind   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Trac         |   Keywords:
-------------------------+--------------------
 == Reproduction
 - When you file a new issue in Trac, there's a field called **"Contributor
 Focuses"**.

 == What is this field about?
 1. The focus of the **contribution** (as in the focus of this issue) ?
 2. Or the focus/specialization of the **contributor** (= the person who
 contributes to the ticket)?

 == Semantic Interpretation
 - I strongly think the intended meaning is 1.
 - Because if you wanted to learn about the contributor focuses (aka
 interests/strengths/specialization of the WordPress community member
 contributing to the issue, one would rather set that in the user profile,
 not state that per each ticket).
 - So very clearly this is about the focus(es) of this ticket.
 - And "focus" in its plural also is linguistically quite dubious. A focus
 usually is a laser sharp SINGLE point. So more synonymous with a category!
 - This quite non-sensical label certainly was already misunderstood dozens
 of time (from 60k total tickets), and filled wrongly for that reason.

 == Proposed Change
 - Change the label at least to: "Issue focuses" or "Contribution focuses"
 - And if you want to get rid of the plural form "focuses", which I
 recommend, then I propose the label to be: "Issue topic(s)" or just
 "Tag(s)".
   - The "s" in brackets to indicate that stating a single tag is also
 accepted, extra tags are optional.