[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #7017: "Error: Your title is too long." when posting new thread, title in use had 79 characters out of 80 allowed

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 29 08:52:10 UTC 2023

#7017: "Error: Your title is too long." when posting new thread, title in use had
79 characters out of 80 allowed
-----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  ellmanncreative  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  closed
Changes (by Clorith):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => worksforme

Comment:

 Hi there, and welcome to the meta trac!

 What has likely happened here is that your quotation symbols have not been
 "plain" quotes, but rather texturized ones (these are slightly more
 stylized, and count as 2 characters due to their encoding), the difference
 is very subtle between the two `“` (texturized) vs `"` (plain).

 This is part of how bbPress handles the check for topic length (they have
 [https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ their own trac] for bugs with
 bbPress), which is where any issues with this matching should happen.

 I'm not sure the WordPress.org forums should force regular strings
 (because the use of texturized symbols may be intentional), or filter how
 bbPress looks up the length, since this may be tied into other areas of
 the software as well, so they would be the best suited to make a call on
 if their checks are no longer as relevant :)

 Since this is within the base bbPress code, and technically works as
 intended, I'm going to close the ticket as `worksforme`, but knowing the
 bbPress devs, they would certainly welcome any discussion on potential
 better approaches, so I encourage you to pick this up over there!

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7017#comment:1>