[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6964: Add some calming comment about spurious IMG tags from emojis leading to "links in reviews"

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 3 01:23:34 UTC 2023

#6964: Add some calming comment about spurious IMG tags from emojis leading to
"links in reviews"
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  tobifjellner    |       Owner:  dd32
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by dd32):

 Replying to [comment:8 azaozz]:
 > Wondering if this may have something to do with the JS that replaces
 emojis with images, and excludes nodes with the `wp-exclude-emoji` class
 name. The problem might be that when using the mutationObserver the class
 name check may miss a parent node with that class as it may not propagate
 far enough on the DOM tree.

 I was thinking that the node may have been created outside of the parent
 node, had emoji transformation made to it, and then moved to be a child
 node... but the MutationObserver not picking up the far-parent node makes
 a little more sense.

 > Shall I try adding a patch for `emoji.js` in core? Would be nice if it
 could be tested whether it would make any difference on the forums.

 We're running the latest trunk JS files on WordPress.org, so could
 definitely test it for you. I'd need to figure out a way to get some stats
 recorded of number of times it's actually transforming SVGs back to emoji
 and probably figure out which browsers are affected..

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6964#comment:9>