[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6722: Support Forums: Timeframe to edit posts or to add further posts should be longer

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 31 20:26:33 UTC 2023

#6722: Support Forums: Timeframe to edit posts or to add further posts should be
longer
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  abitofmind      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by Otto42):

 OKay.

 Cons:

 - Edits allow people to (attempt to) change the past. They get used more
 for people who wish to abuse the system in some way. People will post a
 question, get an answer, and then delete the question. Rendering the
 entire thread pointless in terms of search functionality.

 - @ipstenu: "I will point out that the number one reason I am opposed to
 allowing edits forever is that people are abusive. I can sing you chapter
 and verse on the multitudes I’ve had to ban for using the edit to try and
 hide hateful language. They’ll leave a reply with a terrible message, get
 it emailed to someone, and then hahhah edit it so mods ‘don’t see.’ Add in
 the fact that email alerts don’t happen for edits, it strikes me as the
 wrong direction. If you remember something 7 hours later, leave a reply.
 It’s okay AND alerts anyone who follows."

 The editing window exists for a reason. You can argue that it should be
 shorter or longer, or whatever, but it didn't have to exist. It originally
 had to be created for those specific reasons. Those reasons have not
 changed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6722#comment:5>