[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6745: Documentation: Headings linked to from table of contents anchor links need unique ids

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 8 22:11:18 UTC 2023

#6745: Documentation: Headings linked to from table of contents anchor links need
unique ids
---------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  zoonini        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  Developer Hub  |   Keywords:
---------------------------+--------------------
 In the newly redesigned Documentation section (including the Developer
 Hub), there is an "In this article" table of contents box at the top
 right.

 **The Issue**

 So far in my testing, none of those links seems to be working – clicking
 the links in the table of contents does nothing.

 Example of an anchor link in the "In this article" TOC on the "Debugging
 in WordPress" page:

 https://wordpress.org/documentation/article/debugging-in-wordpress
 /#debugging-plugins

 The problem seems to stem from the fact that the heading tags referenced
 by the anchor links don't each have unique id. For example:

 {{{
 <h2 class="wp-block-heading">Debugging Plugins</h2>
 }}}

 Whereas shouldn't it be:

 {{{
 <h2 class="wp-block-heading" id="debugging-plugins">Debugging Plugins</h2>
 }}}

 **Note**

 Please note that I chose the "Developer Hub" component from the dropdown,
 but the issue seems to affect multiple areas within the new Documentation
 area, so please feel free to adjust if there's a better, broader one
 (HelpHub?).