[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6725: When your post to a thread is nr 10 or higher after submission you get to /page/2/ which is inexistent

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 1 16:24:13 UTC 2023

#6725: When your post to a thread is nr 10 or higher after submission you get to
/page/2/ which is inexistent
----------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  abitofmind      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Support Forums  |   Keywords:
----------------------------+--------------------
 == Reproduction
 1. You reply to a forum thread which has at least 9 messages already.
 2. After submitting your post you get directed to the published post.

 == Expected
 - I get redirected to the proper URL and the proper post anchor link, so
 that my post is scrolled into the viewport.

 == Actual
 - That redirection uses a suffix of `/page/2/#post-YourPostID`.
 - And that leads not to your post, but to the first post.
 - Note: If you are a user under moderation (like me) you get to the
 anchor-link which will be the final one, with a note that your post is in
 the moderattion queue. Only you as the submitter and the moderators get
 that post in the output until publication. Maybe only those users are
 affected? Can someone without such a flag try the reproduction too?

 == Suspicion
 - It seems the forum rendering part changed to a different pagination size
 (something above 10) but the redirection-after-publication-part calculates
 a different pagination size (10).

 == Workaround
 - Is faily simple: Remove the `/page/2/` from the URL and hit Enter.
 - Or manually scroll down until you find your pot.
 - But it's annoying.

 == Severity
 - Less tech savvy users may think "their post was lost". Have a shock.
 Then possibly find it.
 - If not, they may report. Or contact support unnecessarily.

 == Example
 WRONG: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/case-insensitive-url-
 permutations-all-served-as-200-instead-canonical-
 redirect/page/2/#post-16430079
 RIGHT: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/case-insensitive-url-
 permutations-all-served-as-200-instead-canonical-redirect/#post-16430079