[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #7217: Plugin Directory: Auto remove zips for plugins closed more than 60 days with no activity

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 17 15:22:40 UTC 2023

#7217: Plugin Directory: Auto remove zips for plugins closed more than 60 days
with no activity
------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  Ipstenu           |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugin Directory  |   Keywords:
------------------------------+--------------------
 When a plugin is closed, developers are allowed to still push code to it,
 in the hopes that all corrections will be made.

 However, a large percentage of plugins **are never updated**, resulting in
 a situation where people can (in fact) download zips of a plugin if they
 know how, even though no one should be using the plugin.

 It would be nice if zips were auto-removed and no longer built if the
 following criteria is met:

 1. The plugin is closed for at least 60 days

 2. There have been no code-changes for at least 60 days

 OR

 3. There is no one with commit access to the plugin

 On top of that, we should probably have a way to nuke all the files in the
 case of a GPL issue (i.e. if the plugin used non GPL code, we need to
 ensure it cannot be downloaded and really should nuke the files, but
 that's a bigger headache). I think, by preventing downloads of the zip, we
 protect ourselves a bit more.

 It will also prevent angry people who were banned from kvetching that we
 'kept their code' (even though it's open source...).