[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6920: Detect invalid plugin committer email addresses prior to sending bulk emails

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 12 07:13:50 UTC 2023

#6920: Detect invalid plugin committer email addresses prior to sending bulk
emails
------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  dd32              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 Replying to [comment:4 alanfuller]:
 > The primary issue you stated is helpscout rapidly filling up?

 Pretty much; The emails go out a few weeks before each major WordPress
 release, and processing the bounces has to be done effectively manually.
 So it's 3-4 times a year with 200-400 bounce emails each time.

 Due to some shortcomings in our email systems, processing the bounces in
 the way you're suggesting isn't entirely viable, or I didn't think it was.

 An alternative to this of pre-empting the bounces would indeed to be to
 have a script processing incoming HelpScout emails
 ([https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/browser/sites/trunk/api.wordpress.org/public_html/dotorg/helpscout/webhook.php
 As we already do]) and performing actions based on that email at that
 point in time.

 One of the problems we have is that quite often the bounce doesn't
 directly identify the destination email address (or is confused as to what
 it was, as it got redirected elsewhere) and due to HelpScouts shortcomings
 adding additional data into the `Bounce Address` header isn't viable. What
 I mean by shortcomings, is that you can't use plus addressing (ie.
 `plugins+bounce-$userid@`).

 I was really hoping to avoid the emails ever going to HelpScout to be
 honest, but using it as our email-to-PHP handler might not be the worst
 outcome.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6920#comment:5>