[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6920: Detect invalid plugin committer email addresses prior to sending bulk emails

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 11 05:09:40 UTC 2023

#6920: Detect invalid plugin committer email addresses prior to sending bulk
emails
------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  dd32              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 Replying to [comment:1 nosilver4u]:
 > As someone who has done similar things to prevent customers from
 entering invalid emails, I'd say email validation services are very hit
 and miss, and also a bit expensive.

 Thanks for the feedback @nosilver4u! That's very helpful to know.

 > Was there any data recorded on the outcomes of a specific release?
 @dufresnesteven not exactly, although that's a very good question to ask..
 Searching helpscout has revealed these error messages:
  - 87x "The email account that you tried to reach does not exist." (ie.
 Domain + MX records exist, user does not).
  - 16x "User unknown" (Same as above)
  - 32x "Recipient address rejected" (Same as above, but also see:)
  - 15x "550 5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied" - that's from
 `mail.protection.outlook.com` which appears to be a "Domain doesn't accept
 email from your domain" error or "Email service is suspended".
  - 68x "Host or domain name not found." - ie. Domain no longer exists,
 includes some outlook "No longer uses our services" errors.

 That's ~220 bounces, there's probably another major error code in here
 that I haven't spotted.

 I agree that validating users email inboxes are accessible might be a step
 too far if it's not at all reliable enough. But even if just that 30% of
 non-existent domains didn't have to be handled manually, that would be a
 benefit.

 It might be a case where a better solution is to just keep adding more
 automation to the "we got a bounce! Close it" process than pre-empting it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6920#comment:3>