[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6920: Detect invalid plugin committer email addresses prior to sending bulk emails

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 7 14:23:22 UTC 2023

#6920: Detect invalid plugin committer email addresses prior to sending bulk
emails
------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  dd32              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by nosilver4u):

 As someone who has done similar things to prevent customers from entering
 invalid emails, I'd say email validation services are very hit and miss,
 and also a bit expensive.
 As noted, the idea of MX validation is a good minimum and easy to
 implement. Testing for an SMTP connection is a little trickier, but the
 main issue I've run into (in 2-3 years) is having the validation server
 blocked by the recipient server using "clever" spam protection methods.
 In order to avoid that, I've found it useful to maintain a list of "known
 good" email domains AND MX records that don't need further verification.
 For example, with folks using hosted gmail or iCloud (especially the
 latter) with custom domains, verifying that their MX matches the standard
 domains for those services is about as good as you can get.
 Happy to provide any code samples or lists if you like!

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6920#comment:1>