[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6480: Google search for "wordpress themes" returns Nigerian Pidgin as default site

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 12 19:51:05 UTC 2022

#6480: Google search for "wordpress themes" returns Nigerian Pidgin as default
site
-----------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  ben.greeley      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Theme Directory  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+--------------------
 When I perform a Google search for "wordpress themes" (or any other
 variation of words), the top result is https://pcm.wordpress.org/themes .
 This is incorrect, as my region/language should be US English.

 The source code hreflang information and html lang tag looks correct, so
 this is confusing that the default version of the x-default version of the
 page is being returned. It's possible this is specific to my own
 browser/search experience, but after testing on other browsers, in
 Incognito, etc, I can reproduce the issue.

 Looking at Google Analytics, it appears this possibly started happening
 around February 2022 and grew exponentially since. Prior to February 2022,
 the page was averaging fewer than 10 pageviews per month and in July it
 received 26,000 pageviews in a single month. This seems off to me (though
 there could be another reason the PCM theme page is getting exponentially
 more traffic that I'm not aware of).